Monday, June 3, 2013

Tips to running errands with kids without losing ALL of your sanity -just a little-

disclosure: taking small children out in public will cause a minor loss of sanity.
they are children.

Lately I have been reevaluating how I run errands with the kids.
Some days it just HAS to happen.
1. Because we need something
2. Because I NEED to get out of the house.
3. Because sometimes they are angels for me when
we are actually out n' about DOING something.

I've had bad trips and good trips while taking out my little crew.
I am learning as I go how to handle 3 out in public.
One thing I know for a fact...
Going out with 1, 2 or 3...as you have your kids it gets harder
and you will look back and say oh man that was so easy back then...
when you did NOT feel that way when you were living in it.
So I'm trying to remind myself that one day (if we are blessed with more kids)
I will look back fondly on these eassyyyy days ;) ;)
my future self is annoying me right now.
because right now is super hard sometimes.

Some of my readers and and social media followers have
asked me "how do you take them all out?" haha...
Which makes me laugh because just yesterday someone asked me
at church how I handle 3 little kids.. and I replied,
"I'm not gonna lie. it's hard sometimes.
you will call your mom crying.
but it's so AWESOME."

MY TIPS:
1. When you go out in public people will stare at you.
If you have one child..
you will get lots of oh my goodness so cute!
MOST People won't open doors for you while you hold a giant car seat though.
That pampering ended as soon as you gave birth to that child! 
If you have two children...
People will look at you like you are running a daycare..
even though you only have TWO children.
You will get comments on how cute your kids are...
and possibly an old lady or two telling your child
not to stand up in the shopping cart.
If you have three children...
people will, with a smile, say "wow you have your hands full!!"
To which your daughter will reply....
"Mom why does everyone keep saying you have your hands full?"
You will probably hear this statement a handful of times and want to snap.
but don't.
that would be bad.
they don't realize they are the 4th person to say that to
you since you entered Old Navy.
(photo: sophie being a little mommy wanted to push sienna around. I'm all about containing that 2 yr old.)

2.When you are out... Be Realistic with your time.
You will not be able to run into target and grab the 2 items you need super fast.
You will have to deal with an I want an icee and popcorn at 9 am melt down as soon as you enter the building. it will be sooo fun. You might get the urge to turn around and go home...stay strong! you are in charge.............
I have found that the times I don't stress about how long it takes us to do things is when I actually am not the most stressed!!

3. Don't stress about what you weren't
able to get done and all that you have to do.
Psh.. This last tip is easier said than done. I know. But I read something yesterday and I loved it..."Do not worry about tomorrow. Jesus is already there."
(photo: I'm not above donut bribery.)

4. Wear a baby if you can.
My K'tan savessss me. I wear it every day- at some point.
I've even gone to the bathroom wearing a baby! tmi. but you do what you gotta do.

5. Change a baby in your lap.
I don't care if this offends people... When you have a crew sometimes when you are in the corner of the mall on a bench it is easier to change that baby in your lap then to drag the little crew about to commit mutiny into a mall bathroom. ick.
I have learned how to do the diaper hold---- Put the clean diaper under your armpit and then swap with the dirty when changing...dirty diaper doesn't touch anything..and it's super fast. I've gotten pretty speedy. I realized this when a fellow mommy cheered me after.

6. Have fun!
The other day when we were out... we were zooming through the store..I jumped on the back of the cart full of giggling babies. I'm pretty sure some store employees would frown upon this type of silliness...but Sometimes some toddler giggles make everything better...
and your kids are soaking up everything you say and do..
so let them see you laugh! (not just the cranky mama moments because you are exhausted and feel like you say "don't eat that. don't sit on your brother" wayy too often...)
I try to work in fun stops a long the way if I know we are going to be doing a few errands.
Like the library or getting free cheese or kid cookies at the grocery store.
And take breaks... my girls love to sit on benches. so if we see one.. we chill for a minute or two. sometimes I have to remind myself that my little ones have little feet. :)

7. Pack for the end of the world.
The day you don't bring a change of clothes for baby..is the day you will have a poopy explosion of your nightmares. it will be bad. and you will learn your lesson.
I pack extra diapers/wipes/drinks/and usually a snack to pull out when I need to stop the sisterly leg pinching in the back seat.

If you got anything from this post..I hope it's that you are not alone
and you are BLESSED.

0 comments:

Shop my Printables!

Popular Posts

Recent Chit Chat

Labels