Wednesday, November 16, 2011

My Girls' Storybook Princess Party

Just so you know...This is a LONGG post LOADED with DIY ideas
and Fun Party Details. You've been warned. :)


My Girls recently turned 1 and 3! (ahh! still in shock.)
I love putting together their birthday parties and making it a special day full of fun memories.
One of the best parts of being a mommy has got to be
seeing their faces when I put together fun things like this. They are so sweet!
Sophia wanted a princess party but was also in love with anything mermaids!
So I took the basic Princess Party Theme and
turned it into a Storybook Princess Party!



It started with the invite..I made fun DIY Pop-Up invites!
I wanted them to look like a children's book! Check out my easy tutorial here.


"To get to their Castle you must travel through the butterfly garden, past the mermaid candy cove and the pirate ship of captain bubbles.  Go deep into the cookie forest and there you'll find it...Just under the rainbow!"
Each Guest received a map that showed
all the fun things in store at the party!
I was told by the friends that their kids made them read them the invite and map 10+ times a day ;) sorry parents..but yay that is exactly what I wanted them to do! ;)



Each place on the map matched up with a station at the party!
I love interactive play stations at parties!
I used budget friendly DIY projects to add special and fun touches...
I'll be adding tutorials for all of these soon!
(let me know which one you are wanting to learn more about and i'll try and post it first!)


Princess Sophia and Sienna's Cardboard Castle -
I asked my dollar store if they had any leftover boxes..and I hit the jackpot!
They took me in the back to pick out sizes I wanted! Sophia was thrilled with the whole experience. ;)
For Their Sweet Shoppe Party last year I created a Sweetopia Village using free boxes
from Home Depot..(you just have to go out and ask!)





Supplies & Cost of Castle
Boxes...FREE
Paint...FREE (mixed white and pink leftovers)
Banner Garlands...FREE (Designed/Printed on Cardstock and Sewn together.)
Drawbridge(working!)...FREE (used string from old project)
Zip Ties...Target (Home Depot has a 100 Pack - $4...LOTS leftover.)

TOTAL COST OF CASTLE - $4


I think one of my favorite touches is the clouds!

I made them from bunting material.. (I'll share the easy Tutorial soon.)
I think they would look so cute in a nursery or for a Toy Story Party Theme!

Inside the castle was a coloring station..
I printed out coloring pages that matched the invitation.
I had dress up clothes and crowns for all the girls.
There was also a play kitchen, crib and a little table for playing house.



Mermaid Candy Cove -
I used discounted fabric from Joann's, crumpled up packaging paper, and things from around the house/dollar store to make this area come to life.
I had fun crumpling up the paper and taping it up to the ceiling..
it made a big impact for almost nothing! I wrapped some blue and green ribbons around it too.
I used our Ikea Canopy and tied it to the ceiling..slanting it a bit.
Sophia kept calling it a mermaid castle! ;)
I covered her Ikea Easel with blue fabric..
hot glue gunned clear plastic rock/gems?! to fishing line and strung around to add some sparkle!
Fake plant from Michael's..Nice cashier gave me a discount. be nice to cashiers. :)
 I put a blanket in the inside of the canopy and loaded it with pillows from around the house. 
Dollar store sea shells were the final touch!




Dessert Table - I made up a birthday banner(just print/cut/sew!) and cupcake toppers.
Baked up some little cupcakes..and used my dishes and leftover paper straws and lollipop sticks. I printed out little flags, wrapped them around lollipop sticks and taped! Turned out to be one of my favorite details of the party! Glad I grabbed up the striped paper cups from Target when I saw them.
I loveee yellow and white stripes..(a color pattern throughout the party) 
KEEPING IT REAL.....I was making a castle cake....but we have no ac..and it was the hottest day of the year...it melted. we were laughing that it looked like the pirates got to it. haha. The hubby saved the day and ran to Giant Eagle for 2 cakes. go with it! :)




Captain Bubbles Pirate Ship -
I used the leftover red and white ikea striped fabric
(used for sophia's sweet shoppe party last year) to make a pirate bunting and sashes.
I made eye patches with felt and black headbands.
(Was going to have knights but ran out of time! so..pirates only.)
I filled up our sandbox with treasure and coins from the dollar store. Huge hit!
Captain Bubbles also left some Dollar Store bubbles for all the kiddos to play with!






Cookie Forest - I LOVED this project.
I made faux birch stands from a cement tube.(I'll post the tutorial soon. you could use this idea for so many different dessert tables..paint to match you color scheme or wrap with patterned paper..etc..)
I covered boxes from around the house with packing paper. (I use this stuff for everything..totally budget friendly..have rolls of it!) I put the cookies around on different layers..Some homemade some store bought! I put out my ikea plants/pots.. and the back of the table I taped up fake branches I bought at JoAnns in the clearance bin. I picked up 2 mums from Home Depot and broke them up and placed around..I wanted a colorful forest but flowers can be pricey! I printed out signs for each of the stations..and also a pirate and mermaid graphic that I blew up by taping multiple pages together


Butterfly Garden - I used a Butterfly Craft Punch and
Scrapbook Paper that I bought at JoAnns on sale..with coupons.. Sewed together different lengths of garland and strung up. I think this was Sienna's favorite thing!



Just under the Rainbow...Balloon Rainbow - 
I wanted to make up a rainbow with big impact but little cost.. Picked up some balloons for cheap at Target and had some twine in my sewing box. My cousins came over and threw this baby together in no time! ;) Tutorial here. This stayed up for a month or more..haha.
(Ben blew up the balloons..and wanted to see how long his hot air would last.)
I also put up a sign on the bathroom door...the hubby was disappointed that I missed a perfect chance to call it the royal throne...i just couldn't do it.



Birthday Cake and Presents Time -
Sophia was all about this..Sienna was more interested in eating her watermelon.
we had to dip the watermelon in the cake to get it going. hehe.









Favors - I Designed and printed up favor tags..
Filled Clear bags with dollar store goodies.
All favorites of the royals. ;)





The party might be over..
but the mermaid cove and castle stayed up for a while..
we had story time and snack time in there.. :)



Thanks for checking out my
Girls' Storybook Princess Party..
Hope you've found some inspiration for your party planning..
A few DIY details..big or small.. can go a long way!
Tutorials coming soon..and I might be adding some of these printables
to my Etsy Shop...Pretty Paperie Printables

0 comments:

Shop my Printables!

Popular Posts

Recent Chit Chat

Labels