Saturday, October 6, 2012

DIY Toddler Bride Costume

My girls love our photos of "mommy and daddy getting married!"
We have a bunch all over our house... and I think seeing them
all the time has made the girls really into pretending to be a bride like mommy!
They requested "wedding day bride" costumes for our Halloween Party
(They have different costumes for Trick or Treating. details on that soon.)
I wasn't happy with the bride costumes that I saw at the store..
so I was excited to give this DIY a try!
Warning: This is my FIRST attempt at sewing an "outfit."
I am pretty good at sewing crafty things..but this was a bit trickier.
Pretty happy with how it turned out..
I'm sure there were way more sewing savvy ways to do it.
BUT..if you are a newbie like me..this worked out great!
I knew that I wanted the skirt poofy..with a headband veil..
And I wanted the top to be separate from the bottom..because they are growing fast.
Sometimes all you need is a poofy tutu and a bride veil and you are good to go. ;)

I don't have photos for a tutorial..because I feel in no way a sewing expert to do a tutorial..
BUT.. here's some notes on what I did!
(All of the fabric was purchased with coupons and discounts)

BRIDE COSTUME NOTES:
-- The skirt piece is 6 yards of tulle fabric..Folded where they naturally fold the yardage..
I stitched a casing for the elastic...
--I got 2 yards of cheap lining. did the same idea as the tulle except I hemmed the bottom and sewed the sides together so it was more of a finished skirt. (with an elastic top)
--I put the skirts on the girls to knot them at the right width...
and measured them again to trim the tulle.
--I hand stitched the two skirts together around the top (the lining and the tulle)
--The tops are basic tube tops made out of stretchy material..
the cheapest one I could find.
(I wanted a separate top because I thought that if it's cold they
might wear a long sleeve white shirt instead of this top.)
--I hand stitched pretty trim as the straps...
it was elastic with tulle flowers on it..I loved it!
(my splurge.. so I was glad I had a 50% off coupon)
--For the veil I took a yard of tulle and cut in half...
then hand stitched it to a satin headband from Jo-anns.
(I folded an inch and a half and then placed on top of the headband and stitched it that way so that it would puff up a bit around the top...kinda loosely bunching it together)

I hope my notes make sense!
Leave a comment or message
me if you have any questions!


Here's some shots of my day as a Bride..
I feel like walking down memory lane. ;)
I wish I could have worn it more than one day! hehe.
(It was the first dress I tried on..and even though
I kept looking I knew I would go back to that one!)


0 comments:

Shop my Printables!

Popular Posts

Recent Chit Chat

Labels